Monday, May 25, 2009

Memorial Day Gardening

This morning, my mom took me out to a local garden store as part of a mission to revive the gardening areas around our house. We planned on getting some tomato plants, sugar snap peas, and snapdragons, and also ended up getting an exotic-looking orange-pink impatiens flower, two sweet potato vines, two kinds of mint plants, and two strawberry plants to replace the long-dead one. However, in between was a lot of casual meandering about the greenhouse, and constantly pointing out (and smelling) familiar and exotic plants. 

Since my maternal grandmother used to have a very, very extensive flower and vegetable garden, I was expecting my mom to break out into family stories behind certain plants. Instead, she pointed to things that she had no luck growing in the past, flowers she was thinking about, and at the same time figuring out which plants could do well in our yard. The sappiest thing she said was, "I like introducing my children to new hobbies."

Six hours of digging, weeding, planting and watering later, it's looks like I've been more than introduced to a new hobby.

No comments: