Monday, March 12, 2012

The Fiennes - September 2006

In between the January 2006 chapter and this one, Helen and Reuben each have a number of ups and downs (which I'm still writing out). One of the main "ups" is Helen and Summer's junior prom, and the girls trying to figure out college plans.

Helen's first day of her senior year turns out to be a lot crazier than she thought.

Featuring Helen, Reuben, Pete, Summer, and Principal Klein.


            Summer and Helen met under the cherry tree on the front lawn of Pleasant Valley High. The tree itself was only about seven feet high, but its branches stretched out in a wide, low circle, making it an ideal place to sit under at the end of the school day. From time to time, it was used as a makeout spot in the spring. But it was an hour before the first bell on the first day of school, leaving the front lawn gloriously empty. Helen’s father had dropped her off early before going on to the diner, and Summer’s parents wanted to be at Penn State for an early morning protest for the decriminalization of marijuana.
            “Can’t believe we’re seniors,” Helen thought aloud.
            “I won’t ask where you’re applying,” Summer said. “Even my parents are getting stressed about it. They want me to have a list.”
            “Shapiro’s supposed to be really good for studying French.” Helen paused. “And they have a lot fewer binge drinkers than Penn State.”
            “You want to study French?”
            “Why not? I could teach. They also have a great dance and theater program.”
            “I guess I could do studio art.”
            “Have you thought about art school?”
            “I dunno,” Summer hesitated. “Art school people are kind of weird.”
            Helen arched her eyebrow quizzically. “Huh?”
            “I went on a tour of the Salvador Dali Institute this summer, and it seemed like everyone spent their free time frowning and smoking cigarettes.”
            “But your parents smoke pot all the time.”
            “That’s totally different. The Dali Institute smelled like the girls’ bathroom near the cafeteria, combined with turpentine. You could get can— you could get really sick walking by.”
            “Nice save.” Helen smiled briefly to let Summer know she wasn’t offended.
            “God, I feel like such an ass. How’s your dad doing?”
            “Okay, I guess.” Helen felt her smile slip away. “He’s been kind of off lately.”
            “I’m sure it’s not… you know…”
            Helen pushed her hair back behind her ears, nodding. “I sure hope not.”
            Just before Summer could respond, or try to change the subject, Helen lifted her leg onto one of the low tree limbs and pushed herself up with the other. Summer threw her head back, watching Helen balance herself in the center of the tree. As she leaned her back against the trunk and stretched her legs along two forking limbs, she seemed to be staring at a point above Pleasant Valley, above the Green Mountains. Above the clouds, even. Summer frowned. She recognized that stare, but wasn’t sure if Helen knew how recognizable it was. Over the summer, whenever her father yawned too deeply or tripped over a tangled garden hose, she slipped into it. When some women would have reached for a bottle or a smoke, Helen would find a lone tree or cloud and focus on it until someone brought her back to reality.
            “That book O.D. was terrible,” Helen remarked blankly. “I can’t believe it was summer reading for Honors English.”
            Summer nodded. O.D. was a first-person account of a mother who found her teenage daughter dead in the bathroom with a used syringe (heroin) in her hand. It was labeled as fiction, but a quick Google search of the author revealed that he was the director of a drug rehabilitation center just outside Penn State. His daughter, Meghan, had died of alcohol poisoning in high school. The daughter in O.D. was named Meg. As Helen thought back on the book, she tried to remember what happened in it besides Meg’s body being found, which took up seventeen pages, and the police investigation. But all she could remember was the terrible prose – series of short, clipped sentences followed by run-ons that lasted for paragraphs. After reading the first two chapters, she skimmed the rest of the book during her rest breaks at the diner.
            “In the last chapter, Meg talks about watching her parents on the day she died and wishing she hadn’t gone to the party,” Summer told Helen.
            “What? I missed that.”
            The first bell rang, sending Helen in a rush back down the tree.
            “Make sure you mention it in class,” Summer reminded her.
            The girls threw their backpacks over their shoulders and started running down the pathway to the front entrance.
            “I hope we don’t have to write about it,” Helen grumbled.
            “You know we will. That’s why I actually read it.”
            “You read the whole thing?”
            “I want to do well this term.”
            As they crossed through the front doors, Helen noticed the pungent fume of fresh cigarette smoke and started coughing. Principal Klein grabbed Helen’s arm and pulled her aside.
            “I just got here!” Helen protested. “I need to get to homeroom—”
            “You need to come with me,” Klein answered in a hushed, clipped tone. She paused abruptly and turned around, coughing into her sleeve. “I can’t stand this weather. It’s brutal for my lungs.”
            From her last time in Klein’s office, Helen knew better than to talk back without being asked first, so she gritted her teeth, waiting for the cigarette smell to fade.
            “Don’t worry, Helen, you’re not in trouble,” Klein insisted, but her tight smile and continual wringing of her hands was disconcerting.
            Helen crossed her arms across her chest and narrowed her eyes skeptically. “What’s going on, Ms. Klein?”
            “God, I wish I had a cigarette,” Klein murmured, biting her lip. She pulled open her top desk drawer and snatched a pack of gum, tossing a piece into her mouth. “Want one?”
            “No thanks.”
            “Like I said, Helen, you’re not in trouble for anything. Actually, Mr. Griffin wrote me personally to tell me how happy he was with your performance last year despite everything.”
            “Oh. That’s nice. Well, I better go to French. I’m taking AP this year, and I want to stay on top of things.” Helen pulled her backpack and purse up off the floor and started pawing through her books in search of her French notebook.
            “That’s not why I had to see you, Helen.” Klein sighed, rubbing her forehead. “I really hate this part of my job.”
            Helen put her bags down and scooted her chair closer to Klein’s desk.
            “I just got a call from Pete Sardelis. It’s your father. He… he found him passed out in the kitchen and called 911. He told me he’d drive you to Westwood right about now. I’m sorry.”
            Helen looked out the window and saw Pete’s green stationwagon and left Klein’s office without saying anything.
            “I’ll call your teachers and explain everything,” Klein told her office door as it swung shut. “Shit. Poor girl.”
            Before she got in the car, Helen looked at Pete’s face, as if she expected him to tell her it was all a mistake, like the time she fell in gym class and the school nurse told her father it was an altercation. But his frown sunk lower when he saw her, and he stared at the dashboard when he unlocked the passenger door.
            “He said he didn’t want me to call,” Pete told her when he started the car, “but I think he did. Last time I saw him like that was when your mother died.”
            “So he woke up.”
            “Yes. But he was so cold and clammy. I knew something was wrong.”
            “So did I.”
***
            Pat had just sent a patient to the OR when she saw the paramedics direct Reuben Fiennes to a wheelchair. The triage nurse assigned her to him within seconds. Even though it had been several months since she saw the Fiennes girl, she remembered Reuben because he had reminded her so much of her husband. Kind and well-meaning, but a little slow on the uptake, and terribly quiet. Nervous. She had grown so used to raising her voice with hungover Penn State frat boys and bikers who didn’t understand the purpose of helmets that it surprised her to see a grown man quiver when she hollered. She reminded herself to speak more softly when she took his history.
            “Reuben,” she said, stepping in front of his chair to unlock the brakes. “I’m taking you to bed 3. I’m Pat.”
            “My daughter gained back every pound,” he stammered.
            “I’m happy to hear that. Good for her.”
            “I’m sure she’ll be here soon.”
            “Okay.” Pat went back behind him to wheel him to bed 3. “Reuben, I need you to change into this hospital gown.”
            Reuben nodded weakly. He had only been given enough time to button up his shirt halfway and zip his pants before being kicked out of the ambulance, and had just finished buttoning his shirt when Pat wheeled him up to the bed.            
            “I’m going to take your blood pressure and temp and get you set up for an EKG.”
            A head popped in through the curtain. It was Janet. “She’s here,” she said. “Already.”
            “Send her in,” Pat said. “EKG’s almost done. Can you get me some purple and blue tubes?”
            Janet nodded.
            When the blood results came back, Pat looked up Reuben’s past results to see if there were any trends. She noticed that he had blood work done every month since last October.
            “Shit,” she murmured.
            Janet tapped her shoulder. “Pat!” she whispered. “You know the rule about cursing around patients…” With that, she ran back to the nurses’ station.
            Reuben shifted uneasily, watching his IV tube move with his hand.
            Helen stepped up next to Pat. “Is it really that bad?”
            “It’s not good,” Pat remarked dryly, pointing to the screen. “Reuben, your white cells are high. I’m going to page your oncologist and see what he wants to do.”
            “Shit!” Helen spat.
            “Leni, don’t talk like that around the nurses,” Reuben intoned.

No comments: