Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Nursing School Fashionista

For most people my age who work the year after graduating college, the transition is marked by a dramatic change in self-image. Gone are the days of sleeping in until 9, 10, or even noon, and shuffling to class in yoga pants or sweats. Those lucky enough to land a professional job start to accumulate trousers, crisp shirts, and smart blazers. One of my best friends, who spent 90% of her time in yoga pants or jeans and a hoodie at Brandeis, now looks like she walked out of a Banana Republic ad. Even her going-out jeans are darker, more polished.

I knew for a long time that the dress code for nursing is based primarily on functionality. My nursing student uniform, navy slacks and a white button-down with our school's seal, also serves a symbolic function by marking us as student nurses. Sadly, it was one of the less aesthetically pleasing uniforms I had seen. I decided that I definitely wanted to have some cute summer clothes to wear to class, and stocked up on bright tees and a floral wrap top.

While I had been trying to find a new pair of jeans, I got an email from my Health Process and Assessment instructor with the course syllabus. Realizing that the lab portion of the class involved performing (and receiving) thorough physical exams, a new pair of yoga pants began to look much more practical than a new pair of jeans. This was how I ended up getting stretch capri pants at Target.

In a month, I can picture my friend sailing into work in a few weeks with her elegant Longchamp bag over her shoulder, while I show up to class with a stethescope and sneakers. But at least my stethescope and blood pressure cuff will match.


No comments: