Saturday, May 19, 2012

Summer 2012 Resolutions - Food

As part of my pre-nursing school physical and lab work (CBC, titers for measles, mumps, and rubella, etc), my doctor had my cholesterol checked. The total (non-fasting) was high, so she had me do a fasting lipids test. My good cholesterol was very high, but my bad cholesterol was also high, so I saw a nutritionist before moving to Philadelphia.

Since I only ate meat about 1-2 times a week in Boston (because I only eat kosher meat) and I will only rarely eat meat in Philly (my SIL is vegetarian so there is never meat in the house), the main things I have to cut down on are cheese and eggs. In addition, I am trying to eat more fruits and vegetables, as well as "good" fats, such as olive oil.

To help keep myself on track, I am going to make myself a list of foods to stock up on:

Fruits and Vegetables:
* Apples, pears, bananas, fruit cups (in fruit juice or low-sugar syrup)
* Frozen green beans, vegetable medleys
* Asparagus, mushrooms, baby carrots
* Berries and melon (in the summer when they'll be cheaper/taste better)
* Green grapes
* Avocados/guacamole
* Salsa

Legumes/Grains/Starch:
* Hummus
* Couscous, rice
* Baked potato
* Corn, tortilla chips (with salsa or guacamole)
* Cheerios, low-sugar oatmeal
* Pasta, bagels, whole-wheat bread
* Quaker Oats granola bars
* Low-fat popcorn (preferably without palm oil)

Dairy:
* String cheese, low-fat cheddar/Parmesan/mozzarella
* Low-fat yogurt
* Frozen yogurt (sometimes)

Quick Meals:
* Bagel with olive oil and salt
* Couscous with stir-fried veggies
* Pasta with sauteed veggies
* Potato with veggies and fruit
* Soy nuggets with veggies and/or starch

No comments: