Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Jeans Success

As I posted/ranted about last week, one of my summer challenges had been finding new jeans. The Ann Taylor petite skinny jeans that I wore about 3 times/week were veering dangerously close to the stage where they would get holes in embarrassing places, and one of my pairs of Chico's jeans had faded from dark navy to light/medium blue, gotten baggy-ish, and had paint stains.

Before I went to Macy's today, I had tried on jeans at Gap, Chico's, Sears (including Kardashian jeans), Old Navy, Nordstrom Rack, and even K-Mart.

At Macy's, I tried on stuff from Levi's, Not Your Daughter's Jeans, Else, and one other brand. For a while, I had avoided the NYDJ brand out of principle. Perhaps it was ageist of me, but since I'm too young to have a teenage daughter, the thought of owning NYDJ jeans was more embarrassing than having Kardashian jeans. But my mom thought that the NYDJ jeans would fit me, and since she is the sewing/clothing expert in the family, I decided to try them out.



NYDJ: The legs were pretty comfortable, but the waist did gape a bit in the back (by 1-1.5", which is less than many of the jeans I tried have, but still unacceptable). Also, the back pockets were too low.

Levi's: I tried the "Bold Curve" which was supposed to be for people with my fit issue, and a pair of 524 jeans. The Bold Curve jeans used that weird sizing system that starts in the 20s. It's not European sizing. It just makes things confusing to me. I grabbed the 29, and it wouldn't go up my legs. But then I looked at the rise. It would have been too low for someone who's 5'2", so it went bye-bye. Something about the rise/back pockets in the 524 didn't quite work.

I ended up getting the Else skinny jeans. They were a smidgen tight in the calves, but they did not gape at all around the waist and were under $80. At this point in my jeans adventures, I would have spent $100 on something that fit, but obviously cheaper is better. I threw in a pair of drop earrings with white threading and white beads. They look similar to these ones at Claire's:
http://www.claires.com/store/goods/Teens/cat310104/Drop-Earrings/p36121/Blue-and-Silver-Beaded-Hoop-Earrings/

No comments: