Sunday, June 17, 2012

Unpacking at the House

 By the time I arrived at the house on Friday, the movers were almost done loading the boxes in the house. This meant I got to help my sister-in-law unpack the kitchen stuff, so I organized the dishes and mugs on the table and let her decide where to put them. The house has a huge amount of cabinet space compared to the old apartment, so fortunately we weren’t worried about having enough space, just how to use it best.
            By the end of the evening, we were sitting around the table with a friend of my brother and SIL’s, drinking beer and alternately discussing the fate of the world and what show(s) Big Bro and SIL should start watching (Mad Men, and possibly Game of Thrones).


            Saturday morning, after the arrival of the fridge, washer, and dryer, we ventured out to Ikea, Lowe’s, and Target. A lot of the stuff we got was necessary and boring, but we also got several cute things at Ikea. I got a grey and white 3 by 5 rug for my room with a very modern floral design, a black and white striped rug for my bathroom, and a frosted glass lamp for the nightstand in my room. At about 11 PM, I had unpacked all my stuff and laid everything out the way I wanted, which was a great feeling.
            My bed is in a corner and my desk is in a little nook diagonally across from it. I set up one of the bookshelves next to the door with my jewelry and nursing “supplies” easily accessible (including my Foley kit). I set up a second bookshelf near my desk to organize all my extra/as-needed office supplies (e.g. envelopes, my CD binder). My nursing books are on a third bookshelf along the same wall as my nightstand. There was plenty of empty space on that shelf, so the bottom two levels of it are designated charging stations for my Villanova laptop (they give every student a Dell, which comes with free tech support) and my fun computer (the one with my novel and iTunes library). All my non-gym clothes (stuff to wear to class) are hung up in the closet too, which is a plus.
            While I was writing this post, one of the cats was curled up on my afghan. Doesn’t get much better than that.

No comments: