Monday, February 2, 2009

First Day

Having worked in two rather large urban hospitals, I prepared myself for a busy first day — kids running around, art supplies being divided unfairly, and the like.

However, there weren't that many kids, and they usually weren't in the waiting room for long periods of time. At the busiest time, I had three kids at the art table and two nearby at one of those tables with several metal tracks that you push disks along that you always see in doctors' waiting rooms and preschools. The clinic had a small cart with several coloring books and a large box of crayons, nothing too elaborate or messy.

After the first two and a half hours of my shift, though, there were very few young kids. Most of the patients were at least 11, and the only thing I had in the cart for post-grade 3 children was cards. However, most of the older kids and teenagers had smart phones and Nintendo DS systems (imagine a Gameboy that is much smaller and less noisy).

So, I ended up spending most of my time coloring and watching the flat-screen TV nearby. While the coloring was fun, there was only one thing on TV for my entire shift: Beauty and the Beast. At first, I was excited; BatB is one of my favorite Disney movies. But then, after the movie was over, it started all over again. And again. And again. Yes, in one afternoon I saw one Disney movie 3 times in a row (well, to be accurate, more like 2.5 times) and colored with crayons for hours. I think I'm officially 4 years old.

No comments: