Monday, February 16, 2009

Looking Good… on the Farm?

When I went to an all-girls equestrian summer camp out in the boonies, where the only guys around were the camp director and very old farmhands, there was still a strong expectation that you made yourself look good. 

Having previously gone to a coed nature camp in the Rhode Island boonies, I was used to wearing casual t-shirts and shorts or pants at camp. We had daily showers, but the days were so highly scheduled, with most of the activities outdoors, that there was very little time to worry about looking pretty. So the fanciest things I brought to the equestrian camp were a yellow tank top and a pair of capris. The riding helmet I had was the kind that looks like a bike helmet with a visor, rather than the black velvet-covered ones. 

At the equestrian camp, showers were limited to twice a week (ten minutes each), because the camp relied on well water and we were sharing the water with 45 horses. Yet this was when I got my first "makeover." The girls who instructed me had brought along hair straighteners and massive makeup kits, along with multiple "going out" outfits (we went out to the movies/ice cream parlor about 1-2 nights a week). After plucking my brows, doing my face, and straightening my hair (which I don't need at all), they wrote a list of clothing and shoe stores.

I wonder what became of these girls in college, where it's socially acceptable to go to class in a hooded sweatshirt and yoga pants (or even leggings). Perhaps they got the fancier hoodies at the campus bookstore and wear velour track pants instead of baggy sweatpants or plain yoga pants. Maybe they still bring a copy of Seventeen or Cosmo to the gym to read at the treadmill. But mostly I wonder if they still offer to curl their roommates' eyelashes and give them fashion-oriented shopping lists.

No comments: