Wednesday, March 4, 2009

The cutest baby ever

I made another trip to the local Chabad house tonight, this time to make hamataschen (triangular cookies with filling). There was a large bowl of dough already made, so it was more a hamantaschen assembly and baking event than the total, start-to-finish cooking experience.

Warming the dough and kneading it was fun and pretty easy, as was cutting it into 3" circles. Trying to figure out how much filling to put in the middle was tougher, and pinching the three corners just so was much more difficult than you're think. Still, it was fun, and food doesn't have to look 100% perfect; what matters is the taste.

After putting my hamantaschen in the oven, I went into the entry hallway, where the rabbi's 9-month old daughter Leah (not her real name) was playing in on of those activity center things with rattles, wheels, etc. She was very friendly, smiling at everyone and laughing. Later on, her father came over with his very impressive camera, which he uses to document every happy moment, and wanted to take pictures of me and Leah. 

Leah started bouncing and laughing, her smile growing and growing with each picture. The flash didn't bother her, she just kept smiling at me and her father. It was one of the most beautiful things I have ever seen; I wanted to reach out and pick her up but I held back because I don't really know how to hold a baby. It seemed like a very maternal feeling, and yet not at the same time. Perhaps the new mother feeling of "this kid is so wonderful but I have no idea what I'm doing?"

Whatever it was, it was a happy feeling, and I hope Leah keeps inspiring that kind of happiness in others for the rest of her life, may it be long and good and filled with good deeds.

No comments: