Thursday, March 12, 2009

Tuna Noodle Casseroles in France

Since my room is only equipped with a fridge, freezer, and microwave, I don't make the diverse dishes I learned to prepare in middle school Family and Consumer Science* (stir-fried vegetables, macaroni and cheese, smoothies) or instant ramen noodles. Around the time I began to reach my breaking point with eating cafeteria food for lunch and dinner every day, I started taking a closer look at the kosher options in the convenience store and discovered Amy's frozen meals, which are all vegetarian, fairly yummy (except for the pizza with rice flour dough…), and certified kosher. 

Still, I know I could do better. The summer after my senior year, my dad and I lived in an apartment in northern France whose kitchen only had a fridge, freezer, sink, small stovetop, and microwave. Did we rely on pasta and frozen meals? Rarely. Most of the time, Dad made noodle casseroles, assembling the ingredients in a single glass casserole dish and sticking it in the microwave for five minutes. Other nights, we had couscous with vegetables. From time to time Dad did heat a pizza in the microwave, but very infrequently. I have yet to understand how a French apartment kitchen is allowed to lack an oven, though, since French people still do more home cooking than Americans. Of course, both countries may make a large step back towards home cooking in the current economy… 

* = Family and Consumer Science is what my middle school called Home Economics; both boys and girls had to take it. Is FACS supposed to be more PC than HE or does it just sound fancier?

No comments: