Monday, March 2, 2009

First College Snow Day!!

I got up early to go to a doctor's appointment, only to realize when I got there that the health center was closed. This was a real snow day after all. So I returned to my room, using my time valuably to listen to music, make a Facebook friend request, and do a survey called "100 Truths" in which you respond to questions ranging from what you want out of life and love, to your favorite foods. Then, I went to the kosher cafeteria for a leisurely lunch.

I walked to the hospital where I volunteer. Only a small portion of the sidewalks were shoveled, so I had to half hop, half jog through the snow. It reminded me of those training montages in movies in which everyone has to run through an obstacle course with a series of tires. When I got to the hospital, my face was burning from the cold and exertion, but I felt like Wonder Woman.

The clinic was fairly quiet; a lot of people seemed to be canceling or skipping their appointments because of the snow. I did get a few visitors at the art table though, which motivated me to stay through my shift. The rest of the time I spent doing an elaborate glitter glue and crayon drawing of a butterfly, solving Sudoku puzzles, and watching Spongebob. The TV was set to Nickelodeon, so I saw a marathon of Spongebob episodes and ads for sugar cereal and Barbie dolls. I also saw parts of the Spongebob movie. It was much better than I expected; it was quite enjoyable for a movie based on a TV show (especially a cartoon).

The plot is that someone has stolen King Neptune's crown. Mr. Krabs is suspected of stealing it, and Neptune sentences him to death if the crown isn't found in 6 days. Leaving Spongebob and his friend Patrick to find the crown. They are helped out by Neptune's daughter, Mindy, who is much more reasonable than her father, but still get themselves into a lot of silliness.

I was offered some delicious birthday cake by one of the nurses and had some coffee, which gave me a good energy boost. After straightening things out, I returned to my building, to find two friends of mine watching As Good As It Gets, which I had never seen and was wonderful, especially with the soundtrack of my friends' laughter and comments. And now, having enjoyed some delicious grilled hot dogs, I'm writing this post.

I don't know a better way to spend a snow day!

No comments: