Saturday, January 21, 2012

The Fiennes: Aftershocks (pages 15-18)

The following is an excerpt from the beginning of my novel The Fiennes. The scene: Pleasant Valley High School, fall 2005. Helen Fiennes is the protagonist. Jess, one of Helen's fellow cheerleaders, may have intentionally let Helen fall during cheer practice the preceding day. 

            Lydia gasped when she watched Helen hobble up to the main entrance the next morning. Her gait was so uneven that she placed one foot on the first stair, then lifting up the other foot to the same stair, before continuing up again. In one hand she held a round mauve cushion. Her father had painstakingly written “H. Fiennes” across it, on both sides, in black permanent marker.

            “No more cheering for the season,” Helen grumbled.

            “Did you tell Mrs. Baker yet?”

            “No, but I’m sure my dad will. I broke my tailbone. I have to sit on this doughnut thing to keep the pressure off my ass.” She held up the mauve cushion.

            “That bitch,” Lydia spat.

            “Mrs. Baker?”

            “No, her.” Lydia gestured towards Jess, looking over her shoulders to make sure they weren’t heard.

            Jess swished her ironed platinum hair over her shoulder and resumed an animated conversation with Kristen. Her hair was cut straight across and came down to the top of her chest. Lydia and Helen wondered if that length was intentional.

            “She’s going around saying you were with Max in the girls’ locker room showers,” Lydia scoffed. “Like you would do anything with Max.”

            “God.” Helen rolled her eyes.

            “A bunch of girls in the squad have been asking me if I knew about it.”

            Helen met Jess’s narrowed eyes long enough to see that her liquid eyeliner was too thick around her left eye, and barely visible on the right eye. Jess held up her right hand and lowered her thumb and pinky fingers, leaving her three middle fingers pressed together. Just as a teacher turned her back, Jess flipped Helen off.

            Helen scoffed. “Congratulations, Jess. I can’t cheer for the rest of the season. You broke my tailbone!”

            Jess threw her hair back, pulled it into a high ponytail, and walked up to Helen slowly.

            “Back off my man, Leni, or next time it’ll be Lydia,” Jess whispered.

            “I don’t think so,” Helen snapped. She slipped her backpack off her shoulders and, remembering that she had her chemistry and algebra textbooks inside, swung it in front of her. Her intention had just been to show Jess that she was able to defend herself.

             While she successfully demonstrated her self-defense skills, Helen also managed to hit Jess’s arm. The blow left a purple bruise. Several boys hollered for a catfight. Kristen shouted at Jess to not hit back, because that would mess up her manicure. Jess swung out her right fist, but Helen stepped back, put her backpack on again, and told Jess firmly:

            “I don’t want to be with Max. I never did.”

            Principal Klein, who normally stationed herself just outside the front steps with a pack of Marlboros, marched to the scene, her comfort heels clicking on the concrete.

            “You two interrupted my last cigarette before school,” Klein huffed. “My office. Now.”

            Jess and Helen sat in front of Klein’s desk, arms crossed, giving each other the side eye.

            “I don’t care what this is,” Klein said, pointing at the two girls disdainfully. “But keep it off school grounds.”

            “I can’t believe it, Ms. Klein,” Jess whimpered. “This totally came out of nowhere.”

            “She threatened to attack my friend Lydia,” Helen corrected. “She let me fall in cheer practice yesterday. Congratulations Jess, you didn’t kill me.” She turned to Klein. “She broke my tailbone.”

            “This is unbelievable,” Klein sighed, clutching her head.

            “Aren’t you going to file a report on her?” Helen asked.

            “Mrs. Baker filed an incident report yesterday. She said the fall was an accident.”

            Jess kept up her high, singsong voice. “It’s true Leni and I have had issues, Mrs. Klein, but I didn’t mean to hurt her.”

            Helen gripped the side of her head, crunching her hair and just scratching her scalp. She had heard Jess use the same voice whenever she asked a teacher for an extension or a bump in her grade. To her, that strained baby voice sounded like nails on a blackboard. When Jess bit her lip and shuddered, Klein stared at the wall clock. “I can’t believe you would think that of me, Leni. That really hurts my feelings.”

            “God, shut up,” Helen replied. She may have hit Jess with a backpack, but she still thought she was a better person for using her real voice when talking to adults.

            “Both of you stop talking,” Klein said. She rubbed her forehead. “I didn’t have enough time to get coffee this morning, which means I’m in already caffeine withdrawal and your backpack stunt put me in nicotine withdrawal.” She pointed at Helen.

            “She threatened my friend,” Helen said. “Everyone out there heard her.”

            “I would never hurt Lydia,” Jess whined. “I just want her to leave my boyfriend alone.”

            “You were there, Jess, how could you think—”

            “Backstabbing SLUT!

            “ME?” Helen shrieked, baring her glistening white teeth like daggers. “YOU went around telling everybody I hooked up with Max when you know that’s not what happened at all!”

            “I’ve heard enough!” Klein said. “I’m calling your parents. You’re suspended for two weeks for fighting on school grounds.”

            “Fine,” Helen said. She knew she couldn’t walk away unscathed after hitting someone with a twenty-pound backpack, but it felt good to know Jess was getting some kind of punishment. She just wished the same were true for Max.

            “Suspension includes extracurricular activities… including cheerleading.”

            Jess’s jaw dropped, and for the first time that morning, she was visibly scared. “No cheering for two weeks?”

            “It sucks, doesn’t it?” Helen said, lifting up the corner of her mouth in a vicious smile.

            “If you two keep talking, it’ll be four weeks.”

No comments: